Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 1 - Part II

My current trainer/motivator, Andrea, told me today she was surprised at how weak I was at getting through the first workout. Personally, I wouldn't be that surprised if I were her....after all, for the past five months, I haven't picked up one weight, haven't done one burpee or one sit-up, and haven't timed any workout except to keep pace per mile.

It's amazing to me because people think that because I ran a half marathon and have been running approximately 15-20 miles per week that I am "in-shape". I am going to be the first one to tell you that running for distance does not really get you fit. The interesting thing is that I should have known this. I knew quite a few people who ran marathons over the past three years and they are not people that I look at and say, "Wow, they are in great shape." I THINK they are in great shape because let's face it, they run marathons....but the people that I know are in ok shape....certainly not people that I aspire to look like. Clearly, I'm not saying this is true for the competitive marathon runners...but for your average marathon runner just looking to finish....in my experience, they've looked ok.

My small confession is that I am in worse shape now for high intensity workouts as well as high weights than I was a year ago. But...did you know that I'm in great shape because I can run 5+ miles on any given day????? Oh, the irony of it......

Regardless, I am excited for my workout tomorrow even though I'm worried my body is going to give out on me. Last time I did this workout, I gave myself a concussion so let's hope for the best. Although, last time, I thought I could push press a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand and sadly, that was not the case. 50 lbs of weight was a bit much for me after the 10th set.....

The rest of today's nutrition included some high-fat proteins to get me going for tomorrow, including 2 pieces of sausage and a salad with blue cheese & bacon. And a couple of handfuls of dry-roasted peanuts throughout the day and one seedless navel orange.

Day 1 is almost done and tomorrow we have the following workout planned.....

"Colleen and Jerk"
As many rounds as possible in 5 minutes of:

15lbs Dumbbell

Squat Clean x 1Jerk x 3

Andrea says that the monsters in Johnny Pain's class (see his blog under my favorite links) do 40 rounds in 7 minutes with heavier weights. Her goal for me is 20 rounds. My goal for me is 10.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

PS for those of you who think that this is easy, don't bet on it. That's what I thought...until I actually tried one of these workouts. Five minutes is an eternity when you are moving this fast and pushing the weight constantly.

1 comment:

  1. Can you post videos of you doing these workouts? I love the blog and this would be great entertainment! Think about it! I just can't picture this colleen and jerk...

    ReplyDelete