Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 1

Knowing that I am fit enough to run 5 miles without a problem right now, I've turned my initial attention to training with high intensity with shorter workouts. This uses some of the philosophies of CrossFit, which if you haven't heard of, is an absolutely amazing way to train for strength and fitness. Check out their main website here:

www.crossfit.com

To start with, please keep in mind that I have already been personally trained by one of the Crossfit affiliate trainers and this is NOT an endorsement to go out and try any of these workouts on your own. It could be hazardous to your health....

The morning of Day 1 - the alarm goes off at 6:00AM. I manage to reprogram it so it goes off again at 6:20 AM...at which point, I manage to hit the snooze button. So at 6:30...I FINALLY get out of bed....clearly starting off great.

I also got a nice surprise when I went into the living room...Scooter, best mouser ever, killed a mouse and of course, we are out of paper towels.

So, when I finally got started this morning, I did a burpee ladder. This requires swings of a 25 lb dumbbell, alternating with burpees. Burpees, in my opinion, were developed by Satan. Everyone I know who played team sports, including Kyle, seems to be expert at them, but I can tell you, we NEVER did burpees in ballet class....so I'm trying to get used to them.

Today's workout:

10 Swings - 1 burpee
9 Swings - 2 burpees
8 swings - 3 burpees
7 swings - 4 burpees
6 Swings - 5 burpees
5 swings - 6 burpees
4 swings - 7 burpees
3 swings - 8 burpees
2 swings - 9 burpees
1 swing - 10 burpees

As I'm writing this, I've realized that I did the workout backwards...i.e. 1 swing, 10 burpees was my first round....no wonder things went badly for me....you do this as fast as you can.

After my 5th round, I puked. Clearly not in shape to complete this. Trying to continue = dry heaves. I'm somewhat of a failure and it was only 6:45 AM.

I've also had a bad day nutrition-wise. Instead of eating a good breakfast, I had a cup of green tea at 10AM and nothing else to eat until noon. At which point, I had a spinach salad with provolone cheese & dijon dressing. If you haven't had the salad kit, Meditteranean Supreme, I highly recommend it. Go to your local supermarket and pick one up (thank you Qamara for introducing me to this delight!). I also had some ham and cheese at 1PM. Water intake has not been good.

Basically, Day 1 has been crap so far, but let's see if it can get better.

1 comment: