Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 84 - The emotional beginning....

In writing this blog, it has been straightforward, without a lot of emotion or "guts" or anything to really personalize it. Yes, I love to help people eat healthfully and am trying to be more fit, but there's a lot about myself that I'm hiding behind these workout times and eating logs. As you may have noted, it's very controlled and even somewhat censored.

One of my best friends in the whole world, Sera Fiana, went through what most people would view as a devastating time. She is brave, and kind, and tried to go through a horrific ordeal with as much strength and dignity as she could muster. I, on the other hand, cried about getting a migraine from having my wisdom teeth out and didn't exercise for four weeks with that as my excuse. She didn't even mind me complaining about something so menial because for a moment, it distracted her from the serious issues she was facing.

Sera is the reason I ran a half marathon in Feb/March of this year. It wasn't because I am a runner or an athlete or just plain crazy. Four girls who were friends with each other signed up to do this once in a lifetime trip to support a friend in need. Little did we know that it would be a trip that would change all of our lives, our friendships with each other, and our outlook on the future. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I feel that it was a true connection. I know that sounds far-fetched, but it's true. Four girls with very different personalities decided to run a half-marathon. One of them realized it was too soon to be back on the horse and tried to be as brave and supportive as possible while the other three actually ran it. I will never understand how much she tried to be ok with not running it and watching us complete something she loved. Sera, I promise if you want to go back to Disney, I will suck it up and do it again. One of them realized she could open up about how she truly felt about a recent heartbreak and how to move past it. One of them became better friends with the three others and opened a door to let others in to her worries and hopes. And one of them (this one is me) realized that it was ok not to be the best at something and that doing things for the pleasure of doing them with other people was just as much of an accomplishment as always trying to win.

I will always be grateful to Sera, Allison, and Rachael for the amazing trip that we had that, in my opinion, really helped to form a support system for all of us.

Sera's story is something I hope everyone reads and understands and donates to in order to get more funding behind this rare and terrifying tumor. No, it's not mainstream like breast cancer or heart disease, but it is something rarer, similar to my epilepsy. There is not enough money or research or knowledge behind how to diagnose, treat, and prevent recurrence of this scary and painful tumor. Please, please, please....go to her website (part of my links) and also her donation page (part of my links) and if you can, give something in support of this effort.

Sera and I have a lot in common and a lot that is different and I'm going to take a page from her courage and start writing about the things that really matter to me. I'm not going to worry about who is reading this or censor it or worry about how people judge me. Because we are all human and we all have failures and it's ok for me not to be perfect (or so I've heard).

I'm going to run the Philly distance run. Maybe I'll have to walk part of it. Maybe my time will be worse than Disney. Personally, I couldn't care less. And I'm really excited about it. 7 weeks to go from running ZERO miles per day to running over 13. I am almost the type of person who needs to be put into crisis mode to actually do something because this must happen and I know that I can do it.

I'm running this race for Sera because I promised to run her first race back with her. If you had ever asked me if I would run a 5k, I would have groaned and told you I couldn't do it. But, I can do it and I will do it. The slight pain and agony of pushing myself to do 13 miles in 49 days is nothing compared to the ordeals that people are going through every day. One of my husband's brother's classmates was killed on Saturday at the age of 19 because she was unlucky enough to be sitting in the wrong seat. A girl was killed on the way driving home from her college graduation. It's so important to take advantage of the time that we have and spend it with the people we care about doing the things that we love. And I'm going to spend some time doing something that someone else loves in order to raise money for this tremendous cause.

I hope that anyone reading this, even if you don't know Sera, can take a minute to read her story and the tremendous battle that she went through. If you do know her, you know how much it took for her to post her struggles, and her constant pain, and how much it is taking to get back on that course. We are going to do this together. Quite frankly, she is going to kick my ass with her time and I'm totally ok with that.

Sera, I love you and I can't wait to run this distance with you. I can't wait to wear our team shirt and I hope that all of our friends will be wearing our shirts to cheer us on and to raise money for this devastating disease that you overcame - your spirit has touched me and everyone that is lucky to know you over the last year.

Here's to loving our ability to run and smile and hug those we care about - today, tomorrow, and as far into the future as we can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment