Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 96 - What really matters

As I sit here, procrastinating from working on preparation for my interview on Tuesday, I've been thinking and dreaming a lot about the things that really matter. I tend to focus on the here and now and 100% go with my gut on things. I don't do a good job (at all) of appreciating the things that I have in my life right now that are wonderful and I'm always striving to be better, to have more, and to win at everything. Some people might say those are good characteristics, but if you're my family or my husband, you are probably annoyed and think that really, it keeps me from ever being truly happy.

I think one thing that I hope to accomplish this year is to find out what makes me happy. One thing I want to do to start the process is to make a list of things that are great about my life and to remember to read it when I think that the world is crashing to an end (yes, I'm slightly overdramatic at times).

So, here we go with the list.

1. I have a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what, who puts up with the crazy things I do, and realizes that I will always have fun with him, but really will never learn to clean up and put my clothes away. He is supportive, kind, and a truly nice person.
2. I have parents that I am very close with and growing closer all the time. They are alive, healthy, and love vacationing as much as I do which is definitely a benefit for us!
3. I have a job. I make money. I have benefits. Enough said.
4. I have a roof over my head that I own.
5. I can go out to dinner whenever I want and don't have to care about the cost. Same with shopping.
6. I'm getting closer with my sister, brother, and "new" married family all the time and really enjoy being with them.
7. If I wanted to quit my job tomorrow and go on a cruise around the world, I could do it. I probably won't because I'm a little neurotic about work, but I could if I wanted to.
8. My girlfriends are tried and true and I love all of them so much! I know they would be there for me if and whenever I need them.
9. Not only can I get out of bed every morning, but I can run a half marathon. I need to appreciate my fitness and muscle and stop worrying about being a size 2. It's just not me.
10. I am better off in the world than so many people and families and have financial independence.

I think it's time to stop and smell the roses or I won't appreciate being "one of the Joneses" in a few years.

On a less serious note, late last week I remembered why I told Sera that I would never run another half marathon after Disney earlier this year. Because I hate running.

Apparently I only do all this running to make myself crazy. But, I got through 6.5 today...it wasn't pretty, it was a lot of run/walk combination, but that's half the run that I know I can get through even with not a super fast pace.

In happy news, I did outfit myself with a brand new wardrobe of running attire yesterday. Hello 6 new running skirts and a bunch of new tops. At least if I am going to suffer, I'll do it in style.

This week is going to be tough to get my workouts in since I'll be in Boston Tuesday-Sunday. I think I'll run 3.5 miles early Tuesday AM, do some strength training Weds night at the hotel gym, skip my workout on Thursday (unless timing works out), and get up early Friday and do another 3.5 miles. Sunday I'm supposed to do 7.5 miles or so and I have no idea how that is going to work out. We'll have to play it by ear as I don't know if the second hotel has a gym...I would assume not.

Luckily the diet of a wholesaler bodes very well for running as I'll be eating steak and vegetables all week. I also have new rules....no more drinking and no more carbs (I accidentally typed crabs....and then snickered a bit....apparently I'm still 12 years old mentally).

Happy 1st wedding anniversary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment