Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 86 - Where's the motivation?

Today, as I was sweating through "Bad Luck 13", my coach realized that she didn't know what my motivation was. I didn't answer her - at the time, this was because I was breathing so hard I almost threw up. But, on the way home, I stopped to think for a bit about motivation.

I've always been considered by others to be "a very motivated person". I commit to things and I try to do my best at them. But, what actually motivates me? Why do I want to be the best at everything? Why am I motivated to show up and work hard at things? I'm not sure I have the answer to this. Is this an innate quality? I would blame it on being competitive and wanting to win at everything I do as a personality trait....but is that really all of it?

I'm not even sure what other people would say they think motivates them or me. What are the prime drivers of why we are motivated to do certain things and not others? Or in my case, why I have to be uber-motivated at things I do even if I don't really like or care about them? I'd love opinions on this to know if I'm alone on this.

Today's workout was pretty awesome - ask me on Friday how I feel.......

Squats
45 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets
60 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set
80 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set
95 lbs x 1 rep x 1 set
Work weight: 110 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets

Deadlifts
102 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set
122 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set
Work weight: 135 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set

Weighted Sit-ups
15 lbs x 10 sit-ups x 3 sets

Pull-ups
2 negatives on the rings
3 negatives on the bar

Metabolic Conditioning - "Bad Luck Thirteen"
13 calories on the rower + 13 35-lb kettlebell swings + 13 burpees
3 rounds of the above for time
I don't know what my time was but i worked my butt off and this workout sucked hard.....

No comments:

Post a Comment