Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 90 - Week 1 Complete!

Today was the major test of this week....a 5 mile run.

Because it was 90 degrees out with 95% humidity and isolated thunderstorms, I decided that in order to get through it, I did most of it at the gym (I know, somewhat of a cop out).

However, I was totally amused. The 5 miles wasn't really that hard. My arms didn't hurt, my legs didn't hurt, my skin didn't chafe.....actually, all was right with the world. The biggest problem I had was endurance - I was getting out of breath and working my lungs pretty hard.

This means I owe my coach one heck of a THANKS for putting muscle on me because when I was training for running before, my body always gave out before my lungs/endurance.

Today was a positive run, where the miles just flew by and I stayed incredibly motivated the entire time. Or maybe it was just that I was watching "The Parent Trap" on Disney and I'm not going to lie, I love that movie. Something about the happy ending coming true even when two people are apart for 10 years just gets me everytime. Either that, or little Lindsay Lohan as twins. Either way, a complete winner.

I think I did give myself a bit of a system shocker as I have a monster headache as I write this and actually feel slightly hungover. Is it possible to get a runner's hangover? I think I might coin the term, because I can tell you that's exactly how I felt after the other half marathon.

Let's do a report card for week #1:
1. Two short runs - that gets an A- as they were completed, but with a bit of whining and a bit of a short run on the second day due to my "organs jostling" (yes that is a scientific term).

2. One hour conditioning & strength training - A for effort and because we did longer than an hour.

3. 30 min conditioning & strength training - F because I was too hungover to do it.

4. 5 mile long run - A- because it wasn't done outside, but was definitely a winning way to finish the week.

Food gets a D and not drinking gets a C so I definitely have some things to improve upon this week. However, I sense that it will be a good week ahead.....particularly in my new running shoes that were obtained today.

In closing, ouch, my head hurts. 42 days and counting to 13.1.....

No comments:

Post a Comment