Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 88 - A serious runner

First, my updates for Day 87. The alarm goes off at 6:00AM and already I'm annoyed because I'm tired. Then I think about the fact that a million others have already gotten up, completed their run, and that I need to remember what a lazy bum I am. Kyle (sweetheart that he is) looks outside and tells me to be careful because it rained during the night. It's summer, so I clearly automatically think that it is sunny and warm every day......maybe not.

I put on a really cute running outfit, I get my iPod & GPS watch, and I step out the front door. And start shivering. Then I realize it's currently raining lightly. For a second, I decide to wimp out, go back inside, get my gym pass, and do my run indoors on a treadmill. But then I remember that I'm a SERIOUS runner and a serious runner would run outside no matter what the weather. So, I take off and start running.

It was the exact opposite of my run the other day. The first mile was pure hell. My muscles were sore from the night before. My mind kept saying, "It's raining. You're crazy. Just walk the 13 miles. It's not that important." I'm sure I looked a bit like a crazy person in a nice running outfit muttering to myself in the middle of the street.

The first mile was almost like running in a dream. There was no one out and about. I was running through a hustling, bustling city without any hustle or bustle. Very surreal. After getting on the path to run along the riverfront, I was amazed at the true starkness of Philly early in the morning in the rain.

I ran a few steps and saw a homeless man sitting on a bench. He didn't even seem to be fazed by the rain (it was raining much harder by this point). I ran past two anorexic-looking girls who were so frail that I couldn't even imagine how they were running. No eye contact made by them as they were much too serious about burning calories. I ran past two little old ladies out for a walk. They were a little overweight and were power walking. The rain didn't seem to bother them as they were having a spirited conversation.

I ran past an amazingly attractive guy and gave him a quick smile. After all, I'm a serious runner, he's a serious runner - there's a connection waiting to happen. He made eye contact, looked me up and down and gave me a very strange look. I didn't put two and two together until I got home and realized my selection of a white running shirt in the rain made things a little "interesting". Clearly, I didn't think that one through so well....

I ran past a homeless man who was pushing all his worldly belongings on the drive. He made eye contact, smiled, and gave me a nod. He was probably the friendliest of all the humans out on the path.

As I was making it into the home stretch, I passed this little Asian man who was taking shelter underneath an awning. He smiled at me and actually told me words of encouragement as I was running. That was just one person....imagine what it is going to be like with hundreds of people. It feels so awesome!

Then, last night, I broke rule #1 and told Kyle I was going to be designated driver from the Northwestern University happy hour. Ha. Multiple drinks and multiple shots later, he just laughed and said he knew I wouldn't do it. Darn it. Did we really make friends with the owner of all of the Cavanaugh bars last night? And did I really make friends with all those animal shelter people and then abandon Kyle to talk to them? I'm pretty sure that at one point, there were at least 30 shots lined up on the bar. It's just so hazy.

So, that meant I failed miserably as I was supposed to get up this AM and do 35 min of strength training and conditioning. Hmmm...we'll see if that gets made up at some point today, but I realistically doubt it.

Other than that, Sera and I have been discussing our running outfits at length. I'm really excited that we're going to get shirts for people to wear who have supported us (more to come on this SOON!) and also have our own personalized shirts.

I'm signing off until Sunday as I'll be at the lovely New Jersey shore. Wish me loads of luck for my 5 mile run on Sunday morning...because I will need it!

1 comment:

  1. I hysterically laughed through this whole entry. You're too much! I especially love the anorexic girls!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete